Prof. Dr. Christine R. Rose
Our main goal is to understand astrocyte function and neuron-glia interaction at developing and mature synapses in the rodent brain and to elucidate changes in these parameters as well as their significance during different pathophysiological conditions. We apply different high-resolution fluorescence imaging techniques, among them 2-photon-laser scanning microscopy, with which we analyse ion transients in cellular microdomains of astrocytes and neurons. Imaging is combined with electrophysiological techniques (e.g. whole-cell patch-clamp), to monitor the activity of ion channels, electrogenic transporters and ionotropic transmitter receptors at the plasma membrane of both cell types. High-resolution fluorescence-based immunocytochemistry allows the detection of the specific expression pattern and cellular localization of relevant proteins.
1. Deitmer, J. W., Rose, C. R. (2010). Ion changes and signalling in perisynaptic glia. Brain Res. Reviews 63:113-129. PubMed
2. Langer, J., Rose, C. R. (2009). Synaptically induced sodium signals in hippocampal astrocytes in situ. J. Physiol. 587:5859-5877. PubMed
3. Filosa, A., Paixão, S., Honsek, S. D., Carmona, M., Becker, L., Feddersen, B., Gaitanos, L., Rudhard, Y., Schoepfer, R., Klopstock, T., Kullander, K., Rose, C. R., Pasquale, E. B., Klein, R. (2009). Neuron-glia communication via EphA4/ephrin-A3 modulates LTP through glial glutamate transport. Nature Neurosci. 12:1285-1292. PubMed
4. Kelly, T., Kafitz, K. W., Roderigo, C., Rose, C. R. (2009). Ammonium-evoked alterations in intracellular sodium and pH reduce glial glutamate transport activity. Glia 57:921-934. PubMed
5. Rose, C. R., Blum, R., Pichler, B., Lepier, A., Kafitz, K. W., Konnerth, A. (2003). Truncated TrkB-T1 mediates neurotrophin-evoked calcium signalling in glia cells. Nature 426:74-78. PubMed
6. Rose, C. R., Konnerth, A. (2001). NMDA receptor-mediated Na+ signals in spines and dendrites. J. Neurosci. 27:4207-4214. PubMed
7. Rose, C. R., Ransom, B. R., Waxman, S. G. (1998). Effects of glucose deprivation, chemical hypoxia, and simulated ischemia on Na+ homeostasis in rat spinal cord astrocytes. J. Neurosci. 18:3554-3562. PubMed
8. Rose, C. R., Ransom, B. R. (1997). Regulation of intracellular sodium in cultured rat hippocampal neurones. J. Physiol. (Lond) 499:573-587. PubMed
9. Rose, C. R., Ransom, B. R. (1996). Mechanisms of H+ and Na+ changes induced by glutamate, kainate, and D-aspartate in rat hippocampal astrocytes. J. Neurosci. 16:5393-5404. PubMed
10. Deitmer, J. W., Rose, C. R. (1996). pH regulation and proton signalling by glial cells. Prog. Neurobiol. 48:73-103. PubMed
Find further publications by Christine R. Rose on PubMed.