Dr. Boris GörgClinic for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectiology
Moorenstraße 5 40225 Düsseldorf
My research focuses on molecular mechanisms underlying the pathophysiology of hepatic encephalopathy (HE), which represents a neuropsychiatric syndrome associated with acute or chronic liver failure. Current evidence suggests that HE in cirrhotic patients reflects the clinical manifestation of a low grade cerebral edema which is associated with the generation of oxidative stress.
My particular interest is to analyze the interplay between osmotic- and oxidative stress and subsequent functional consequences which include posttranslational protein modifications (protein-tyrosine nitration), oxidation of RNA (8-hydroxyguanosine), altered gene and micro RNA expression as well as disturbed glutamate- and zinc homeostasis.
- Zemtsova I, Görg B, Keitel V, Bidmon HJ, Schrör K, Häussinger D. Microglia activation in hepatic encephalopathy in rats and humans. Hepatology. 2011; 54:204-15. PubMed
- Brück J, Görg B, Bidmon HJ, Zemtsova I, Qvartskhava N, Keitel V, Kircheis G, Häussinger D. Locomotor impairment and cerebrocortical oxidative stress in portal vein ligated rats in vivo. J Hepatol. 2011; 54:251-7. PubMed
- Keitel V, Görg B, Bidmon HJ, Zemtsova I, Spomer L, Zilles K, Häussinger D. The bile acid receptor TGR5 (Gpbar-1) acts as a neurosteroid receptor in brain. Glia. 2010; 58:1794-805. PubMed
- Görg B, Qvartskhava N, Bidmon HJ, Palomero-Gallagher N, Kircheis G, Zilles K, Häussinger D. Oxidative stress markers in the brain of patients with cirrhosis and hepatic encephalopathy. Hepatology. 2010; 52:256-65. PubMed
- Görg B, Morwinsky A, Keitel V, Qvartskhava N, Schrör K, Häussinger D. Ammonia triggers exocytotic release of L-glutamate from cultured rat astrocytes. Glia. 2010; 58:691-705. PubMed
- Kruczek C, Görg B, Keitel V, Pirev E, Kröncke KD, Schliess F, Häussinger D. Hypoosmotic swelling affects zinc homeostasis in cultured rat astrocytes. Glia. 2009; 57:79-92. PubMed
- Görg B, Qvartskhava N, Keitel V, Bidmon HJ, Selbach O, Schliess F, Häussinger D. Ammonia induces RNA oxidation in cultured astrocytes and brain in vivo. Hepatology. 2008; 48:567-79. PubMed
- Häberle J, Görg B, Rutsch F, Schmidt E, Toutain A, Benoist JF, Gelot A, Suc AL, Höhne W, Schliess F, Häussinger D, Koch HG. Congenital glutamine deficiency with glutamine synthetase mutations. N Engl J Med. 2005; 353:1926-33. PubMed
- Görg B, Wettstein M, Metzger S, Schliess F, Häussinger D. Lipopolysaccharide-induced tyrosine nitration and inactivation of hepatic glutamine synthetase in the rat. Hepatology. 2005; 41:1065-73. PubMed
- Schliess F, Görg B, Fischer R, Desjardins P, Bidmon HJ, Herrmann A, Butterworth RF, Zilles K, Häussinger D. Ammonia induces MK-801-sensitive nitration and phosphorylation of protein tyrosine residues in rat astrocytes. FASEB J. 2002; 16: 739-41. PubMed